The following are the quick steps to create a user account and setting it up to backup to your storage server. This article assumes the following:
- The Storage Server is Installed and accessible from the client machine.
- If you are not using an xSP or Remote Workforce storage server, please disregard this part.
- You have a valid license activated in the Configuration Manager (a trial license is OK).
- A storage location is configured in the Storage tab of the Configuration Manager.
- The CMC (Central Management Console) software is installed and accessible from the client machine.
- You have tested that you can log into the CMC.
Step 1: Create the User Account on the Storage Server
- Connect to your Storage Server.
- Open the Configuration Manager.
- Click the [Add] button to add a new user account.
- Enter the account username and password.
- Select the primary storage location from the drop down.
- Click [OK].
Step 2: Install the Client software
- Download or copy the client installation application to the machine to be backed up.
- Run the installation.
- Select the Typical installation option unless you wish to modify the installation location or installed components
- Select the Advanced mode startup option.
- Allow the application to complete the installation.
Step 3: Configure the Online Storage Device in the Client Software
- Open the NovaBACKUP xSP client software
- Click on the Device tab
- Click [Add]
- Enter the IP/URL of the Storage Server
- Enter the User Account Name and Password for the account you setup
- Click [Test Connection], if successful, click [OK]
Step 4: Connect the Client to the CMC
- With the client application still open, click the Home tab
- Click Settings > Default Settings
- Select the CMon Server or Management Server tab
- Enter the Server name (IP or URL) for the CMon Server (Central Monitoring Console) or CMC (Central Management Console)
- Exit the NovaBACKUP xSP client application
Step 5: Start the CMC Agent Service on the client
- In Windows, click on Start > Run
- Type services.msc
- Press [Enter]
- Locate the service named "Backup Client Agent Service" in the list of services
- Right click on the service and choose Properties
- Set the "Startup Type" = Automatic (Delayed Start)
- Click OK to save the change.
- Right click on the service and click the [Start] button
- Close the Services window
When you have finished, you should be able to:
- See the agent in the CMC
- Create a backup job, setting the Online Storage device as the destination, through the CMC
- Start a backup job created by the CMC
- Verify that a backup has completed in the CMC
See how much data is in storage for that user account in the Storage Server Configuration Manager.