Exclude DataCenter Files and Directories from Active Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware Scanning (Version 8.x)
Certain Anti-Virus software may incorrectly flag or interfere with your DataCenter 8.x software from properly running or even installing. This can result in a failure to install / upgrade, failed backup job, unusually slow backup speed (transfer rate), failure for the application to start entirely, or the inability to see destinations to backup your files to. Please also confirm no files shown here have been quarantined by your Antivirus software if you cannot find the file in the listed location.
Please see the files below and add the following folders to your Antivirus exception lists if you are experiencing any of these issues and are running an Antivirus Software on your machine. Both CrowdStrike Falcon and SentinelOne are "AI based" AV apps known to block DataCenter from installing or can cause issues with DC 8.x services or processes being able to start or stay running without adding exclusions; neither product exempts DC processes by default, read about how to configure the exclusions for CrowdStrike Falcon here, and for SentinelOne here. By default, there are no exemptions, and you will need to exclude our processes in the behaviour engine by manually adding them in the management console. Both CrowdStrike Falcon and SentinelOne products are known to cause issues with the DataCenter 8.x software; like for instance the website login dialog cannot load (due to the 'TomEE.amd64.exe' process stopping), without adding the process exclusions that are detailed below.
Folders to Exclude (Program Folders):
Best practice would be to exclude all files and folders utilized by the DataCenter software, including a Command Server and a Client installation. The folders to exclude are:
Files to Exclude: (Processes or Executable's)
There are a total of 98 .exe files in a typical DataCenter Command Server v8.x installation. A DataCenter Client installation has much less files, but there are similarities. Best practice would be to exclude all *.exe files under the installed program path C:\Program Files\NovaStor\DataCenter\. A partial list of the primary executable files that are used by DataCenter Command Server, is here:
- Windows Defender: How to exclude NovaBACKUP from Windows Defender Antivirus to speed up backups
- Symantec: How to create an application exception in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager
- Avast: Excluding certain files or websites from scanning in Avast Antivirus
- Trend Micro: Excluding a file or application from the anti-malware scan of Worry-Free Business Security Services (WFBS-SVC)
- Kaspersky: How to add an application to the Trusted list in Kaspersky Total Security
- Webroot: Blocking or Allowing Files
- AVG: Excluding certain files or websites from scanning in AVG Antivirus
- Bitdefender Home: Adding exclusions in Bitdefender
- Bitdefender Business: How to add application or process exclusions in Bitdefender Control Center
- Sophos Home: Setting scan exceptions
- Sophos Enterprise: Global Exclusions
- Avira: How do I exclude files or processes from scanning?
- Panda: Creating exclusions for Adaptive Defense and Endpoint Protection products
- SentinelOne: How To Configure Exclusions And Include Them In SentinelOne Policies - Note: SentinelOne’s StaticAI and ActiveEDR (prevent) is behaviour based, so it does not perform scans. If you have folders and files types that you wish to exclude from the behaviour engine then these can be manually added in the management console. By default, there are no exemptions.
- CrowdStrike: How To Configure Exclusions And Include Them In CrowdStrike Falcon Policies - Note: CrowdStrike’s NGAV (prevent) is behaviour based, so it does not perform scans. If you have folders and files types that you wish to exclude from the behaviour engine then these can be manually added in the management console. By default, there are no exemptions.