With the release of NovaBACKUP PC, Server, and Business Essentials version 19 there were some improvements made to the Image Backup portion of the software that now require some additional steps when updating (or upgrading) the software for some configurations.
Downloading the latest version
If you are here looking for a download of the software, please visit
Please note that update/upgrade installations will maintain your previous settings and that Technical Support is available should a problem be encountered.
Please see our KB article on Installation ends prematurely on client install if you are having trouble installing.
If you experience a failed installation of NovaBACKUP v19.1.x or newer, where the installation or upgrade ends prematurely, you can attempt the fix that we have for this by reading the Knowledge Base article
Fix for NovaBACKUP v19.x fails to install due to existing DR Drivers.
Please try the following before continuing:
- Reboot your machine before trying again
- Any pending Windows Updates WILL cause the installation to end prematurely and roll back.
- This includes NovaBACKUP PC/Server/Business Essentials and CMon Server
- Windows Update procedures may require multiple restarts to apply all changes.
- Temporarily disable all Anti-virus, Anti-spyware, Anti-ransomware, Anti-malware and Firewall software
- You should open Task Manager and make sure the following processes are not running (End Task if they are) before running the setup file:
- drdiag.exe | nsCtrl.exe | NovaBackX.exe | nsService.exe
- Please make sure to open the downloaded setup file (usually in your Downloads folder) by utilizing Right-Click->Run as Administrator
If none of these help resolve the issue we recommend to
submit a support ticket and include advanced logs
Mounting Image Backups
The largest impact is for users that wish to mount an Image Backup or perform Differential, or Incremental, Image Backups, as this component is not included in a "Typical" installation anymore.
Please see the KB article titled Repair the Image Backup Drivers for additional information about this component and how to install it.
The most noticeable item that is seen has to do with a Reboot request after completing the installation of the software. This request is prompted for updates to the software that require a reboot to complete the installation. This will not be prompted for every installation, but if it is, please do not defer the reboot if at all possible. This will be prompted only if certain Image Backup components that are loaded by Windows need to be stopped completely before being updated, such as Image Backup Mount Drivers.
Process After Rebooting
After rebooting, it will look like the installation is starting over from scratch, this is normal.
Please use the options you selected before rebooting to install the software, they will not always be changed for you. (i.e. if you selected "Custom" you need to select the optional components to install again)
You may also be prompted with a dialog indicating there is a "Suspended Installation" in progress, and if you wish to undo the changes.