Last Updated: April 12th, 2022 5:10PM CET
[Guide] Backup to a NAS device
This guide will provide you with straightforward instructions for configuring NovaBACKUP to backup to a NAS device.
For a more in-depth & comprehensive overview of how NAS devices can be configured, please refer to the following article:
Adding a NAS device in NovaBACKUP
1. Make sure your NAS device is powered on & connected to your network.
2. Within the NovaBACKUP Client, select the "Device" tab.
3. Once you're in the Device window, select the "Add" button near the bottom of the screen.
4. The "Add Device" window will immediately come up. You will want to use the scrolling menu to select "Network Device".
5. Next, enter a "Device Name". This can be anything you want. If you intend to add multiple NAS devices, it's a good idea to use something descriptive, so you can easily identify which device you intend to backup to when making your backup selections.
6. For "Network Path", you can either type in the UNC path, or use the "Browse (...)" button to the right.
7. Depending on how your NAS device is configured on your network, the "Domain Name", "User name", and "User Password" fields may be optional. If you need specific user permissions to access the UNC share, enter them here.
8. Once completed, select "OK" to add your Network Device. If any of the fields are entered incorrectly, NovaBACKUP should display an error message letting you know that the device could not be added. Once the fields are all entered correctly, your newly added Network Device should show up immediately within the "Device" tab.
9. Now that your NAS is available to use as a backup device, you can select the "Backup" tab to create a new backup job.
10. Select the files/folders you intend to backup by using the left-panel. Once your backup selection is complete, select the "Backup to..." button in the bottom-left corner, which will open the "Select Device" window.
11. From this window, select the NAS Device we created in the previous steps. Then click "OK". You should now see the NAS Device name and UNC path in the "Backup to" field.
12. You can give your Backup job a descriptive name using the "Backup Name:" field, then click the disk icon in the upper-left corner of the NovaBACKUP client to Save the current job.
13. Once your file backup selection is complete, you can select "Backup" in the bottom-right corner to run a manual backup job. In this example, I simply made a small file backup selection in order to test and make sure everything works as intended. After you determine the NAS device is setup & working properly for backups, you can proceed with scheduling future backup jobs to run via the "Schedule" tab.
14. After selecting "Backup", the NovaBACKUP client will automatically bring up the "Status" screen, which displays useful information regarding the progress of the currently running backup job. Once the backup is complete, the Status bar should display that the Backup operation completed successfully.